Comments

1. Birkosteve says

The easist way to understand modes is to start on a different scale degree. e.g, G mixolydian is GABCDEFG, (C scale starting & ending on the 5th degree)

I DON’T PLAY LIKE MY AUNT LOUISE is a way to remember the order of modes.

Ionian dorian phrygian lydian mixolydian aolian locrian. Hope I’ve simplyfied it for you!

2. willy642 says

You can move it, don’t use the same “shape”, use the same intervals. major scale is Whole Whole Half Whole Whole Whole Half

3. 40laceration says

i dont understand how major scales could be movable if you take the C Major scale for example… starting on the 8th fret on the low E and move it down 5 frets to a G…..the notes are going to different……your going to be playing a G Major scale with that F# instead of a C Major scale…correct?

4. chrismahaffey6666 says

took mea few years to learn modes to.
    the od way i learnd was lising to Vai and satch. all i knew was minor, and i found out that if i play every thing two notes up and still use E or what even key im playing in as the rute note and play every thing a hole step up it sounded realy cool, and then i found out it was mixolydian. then i found out if you keep your rute note the same and play two hole steps up its Lydian. and so on a so forth

5. magicktrick777 says

ooooh, and therein lies the mystery I’ve been trying to get for ages. for a hobbyist like me, that distinction about what chord you’re playing against seems subtle yet really the crux of the biscuit. please post more about that if you get a chance.
    cheers

6. lexcorona85 says

And now I can play them anywhere. This took me years to understand because I wasn’t comprehending how important music theory is. Now with a guitar and hours to kill, I can, on my own, show myself the famous Greek modes. I got them in a couple of hours after years of playing.Then learning them with nice chords on top got me geared for serious playing. I will post videos as soon as I can seriously say I can, but I’m having too much fun learning shit I should of learned from the beginning.

7. lexcorona85 says

When I started to learn the major scale and discovered that it has no sharps or flats in C, then learned the minor scale and learned that it has no sharps or flats in A. Interesting. Then I discovered that the last three notes of the C major scale are the beginning of the A minor scale. Interesting. Then I played the major scale starting on G, and avoided sharps and flats, except it wasn’t the major anymore, it became the Mixolydian! Repeat with B, D, E, F and I now know all modes. Explore!!!!!

8. elmuan says

Mixophrigian … Iolidyan … Arrrrrg! I’m more confused now … my brain is going to explode … Arrrrrrgh!

9. exvotivezach says

It might help to say they are actualy all variations of ONE scale (because the minor scale is exactly the same as a major scale starting on the 6th degree). And perhaps explaning the difference between for example:

C phrygian
    Phrygian in the key of C

All in all good lesson.

10. panamanian911 says

e flat and d sharp are the same note, that’s what I said and it is true. now i know that the e major scale has 4 sharps, but still, e flat and d sharp are the same note. He said e flat because it was easier for him to say that..
    and i do know theory.. even before i started guitar… all i said was that e flat and d sharp are the same note, same pitch.. lol

11. oregonskateok says

No they arent. Whoever thumbs upped you is an idiot. The video poster should learn basic theory before trying to teach modes. There is no Eb in E major, There are 4 sharps in that key. Guitar players ignorance to theory annoys me sometimes.

12. modeplayer67 says

Well done. It’s rare to fine someone who approaches these things the right way in terms of only needing to alter a single note of the major or minor scale.

The only thing I would add, is that it does not matter what note you start or end a scale on. That does not determine what the mode you’re playing is. The ONLY thing that determines what mode you are playing is how those notes harmonize with the CHORD they are being played against.

13. oregonskateok says

Not exactly. E major will not have an E and Eb in it. The Seventh degree would be D#. E F# G# A B C# D# E. The key sig for E major is four sharps, which are FCGD.

14. panamanian911 says

what he said is actually not true… if he wants to label it by fingerings, the best way would be to say that you have to learn the major scale all through the fret board.. and then to be aware that each mode of a single tone is a major scale played in a different place .. like you said.. d major is e dorian..

15. PatrickSebastian says

Wait wait, I collect my jaw from the floor. Please, I mean PLEASE, learn stuff first before you try to teach them. You might confuse some one who really want’s to learn. If they “learn” stuff like this, it is very hard to get them understand the correct way. It’s kinda same way of all your videos (all that I’ve watched as I didn’t believe my ears and eyes…)

16. oregonskateok says

Seriously, it doesn’t take any brains to figure out how to construct each mode. However knowing how to apply these modes is a bit harder, still easy though. Also E ionian has a D# not an E flat 😛

17. YusefGuitarum says

There is not enough information here to give anyone an “understanding” of the modes. Sorry. Well presented though.